We receive emails nearly every day from authors asking how they can market their books online.
So we thought it would be helpful to start a useful resources page that you can refer to for up to date book marketing knowledge. On this page you will find a list of the tools and recommendations to help you boost your books exposure.
A handy tip is to bookmark this page on your computer so you can find it again.
Hosting – where your site lives
- Outstanding customer service
- Easy-to-use interface perfect for beginners
- And a wide range of additions to power up your books web presence
- Author Special Offer- unlimited web hosting for only $4.95 per month
If you outside the US this offer applies too, so sign up now before the offer ends. So signing up with Bluehost is your best option to get your site online and boost those book sales fast!
Email Marketing – spread the word about your book
When a visitor comes to your site one of the most important things to do is to collect their email address.
You need to do this so you can communicate with your fans later by email. This is great way to build a following and allows you to send out emails to your email list when you have news to tell them or when you have a new book out.
Communicating with your fans by email can be a great way to kick start the sales of any new book…
So it’s vital to have a email service to allow you to keep track of all your fans email addresses.
Affordable, drop-dead simple to use Aweber lets you create broadcast emails and create opt-in forms that you can put on your author site to collect emails. This is a must-have for any serious author.
The best computer for writers
When it comes to writing your next book, the tools you use can have a huge impact on how productive you are. A reliable, fast and efficient computer is a must-have for every aspiring author. And they don’t come more fast and efficient than the Apple iMac.
Beautifully crafted from sold aluminium the Apple imac represents the best of computing power in a perfect user-friendly skin.
- 27-inch LED-backlit display with pin-sharp 2560-by-1440 resolution
- Energy efficient, highly recyclable
- Clutter-free desktop
- Apple wireless keyboard
- Revolutionary thunderbolt technology
Security – keep your author website safe from hackers
These days keeping your website safe from hackers is the number one priority of website owners. So it pays to make sure your site is safe and secure from the start. We use the most reputable security service on the net right now – Sucuri. They monitor your site 24/7 so you never have to worry about being hacked.
Scan handwritten notes and ideas into your computer
“It’s here somewhere I’m sure”.
Well I scan all my handwritten notes, scraps of paper, receipts into online software called Evernote with the use of my stupid-simple-to-use Scansnap scanner.
- Just plug it into your PC’s USB port to power it up
- Can be used on a PC or Mac
- Press the scan button and your ready to go
Alternatively if you need to scan larger quantities of documents I recommend the hard-wearing:
Keep your notes organized – in the cloud
Based in the cloud (that’s just a fancy way of saying online) you can upload photos, notes, scanned documents from your smart phone, desktop computer or tablet.
- Keeps all your notes and documents in sync
- Remember things – without having to remember them
- Capture ideas and save them into Evernote with the click of the mouse
- Access from your PC, Mac, tablet or smart phone
- Your ideas all always with you wherever you are
Prefer pen and paper?
- Classic ruled notebook is the best selling Moleskine notebook
- Perfect for writings thoughts and notes
- Acid-free paper inner complete with a ribbon bookmark
- Elastic closure
- Expandable inner pocket
- 5.2 x 0.6 x 8.2 inches
- Excellent paper quality
- Durable cover
- Easily fits in your pocket
- Large enough to take notes comfortably
Hate typing? Why not dictate your book
Well why not try dictating your book straight into your computer. Modern dictation software is more accurate than ever. It’s surprising how many words you can dictate.
- Dictate documents in Microsoft Word, Corel WordPerfect, or OpenOffice Writer
- Send e-mail in Microsoft Outlook or Windows LiveMail
- Work with spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel
- Create presentation text in Microsoft PowerPoint
- Search the web with only your voice using Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Google Chrome
- Speak a post to Facebook or Twitter
Choose the right one for you:
Wrist strain? Try an ergonomic keyboard and mouse
From strained wrists, sore shoulders and a stiff back, writing your next masterpiece can be – well a pain in the back. So doing all you can to prevent and reduce aches and pains should be top of your list. This is where an ergonomic keyboard and mouse are essential.
Here are the two best ergonomic keyboard and mouse for writers:
Spreadsheets made easy
And no other software can help you organize your life better than the trusty Microsoft Excel
- Easily analyze and manage data
- Share information in more ways than ever before
- Find the right data quickly with new filter enhancements
- Highlight specific data with new and improved formatting options
The private way to share documents with friends
Dropbox is a free online application that allows you to share your files with your family and business colleges.
- You can give private access to any folders and files
- It syncs automatically with your computer
- You can even access your files on your smart phone
When you try Dropbox you will never know how you lived without it
Bad back? Try standing when you write
Long hours spent writing can wreck havoc on your back. Cheap office chairs and poor posture – over time – can lead to a whole host of back and neck pain problems, like slipped disc, headaches, migraine and eye strain.
With the recent invention of the stand-up desk – popular amongst the entrepreneur community – maybe now is the time to say goodbye to back pain once and for all.
- Height adjustable – so it’s always at just the right level
- Keyboard shelf is 22 3/4-inch by 13 1/2-inch – so can accomodate any PC or Mac keyboard
- Work surface is 29 1/2-inch w by 19 3/4-inch deep by 3/4-inch high – perfect for writing by hand too
- Work surface can be easily adjusted in height from 35-inch to 49-inch – so whether you’re tall or small you can find the perfect height.
Don’t like to stand? How about kneeling?
If you’re not crazy about the idea of standing up while writing, there is a great alternative. It’s been proven that kneeling can have a beneficial effect on back pain, as it relieves tiredness and eases tense muscles.
- Wooden kneeling chair, 17-1/2-inch width by 26-1/2-inch depth by 20 24-inch height
- Black fabric upholstered bottom and knee pads
- Foldable – so can be stored easily when not in use
- Height adjustment – suitable for tall and small alike
- High quality natural wood finish
- Great for computer work
Smart pen – remembers so you don’t have to
Comes complete with a 4 GB memory and can record up to 400 hours of audio and thousands of pages of notes, diagrams and drawings. It can even wirelessly sync notes and audio to your Evernote account.
- Over 400 hours of audio
- Capture thousands of pages of notes
- Wireless transmission of notes and audio
- Livescribe edition of Evernote
Reduce eye strain with these anti-glare glasses
If you stare at a computer every day while writing you’re putting your eyesight at risk. Eye strain is a huge problem for authors like you and can leave you tired and unable to concentrate.
These specially designed glasses from Gunnar increase visual performance, prevent eye fatigue and reduce computer vision syndrome (CVS)
- i-AMP technology, tinted lens, anti-glare coatings and ultra-pure lens material provide sharper, clearer vision so you can work more efficiently and feel more comfortable
- High tensile steel frame with an attractive onyx finish and gently curved temples (arms)
- Fastener free hinge design for long lasting durability and comfort without pressure points or fatigue
- Conforms with all head sizes and will not interfere with your headset
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty against manufacturing defects
Outline your book on this whiteboard
I have a large whiteboard on the wall next to my desk so I can jot down ideas, write notes and plan things visually. And when I’m done I can rub it clean.
- 4 foot x 6 foot whiteboard
- Tough, smooth wipe-clean surface
- Hanging system and kit included, guaranteeing easy and accurate installation
- Anodized frame construction for years of trouble-free use